[Ravensfort] viking garb

dankat at tca.net dankat at tca.net
Tue Feb 3 09:39:26 PST 2004

<SMOOTCH, SMOOTCH>    ;)

    Now that that is out of the way...  <grin>  Let's discuss this a
little bit.

    It has been at least 5 years ago that I remember reading this, so I
cannot exactly quote the source.  However, the up shot of it was: linen
and ramie are both bast fibers.  And in fact, they are so similar, it
would take an actual chemical composition comparison to tell them
apart.  Most id's of fiber from surviving garments have not gone this
far because it would require the destrucion of some of what was left.
Like I said...  I don't remember where I read this as it was at least 5
years ago.  I tend to believe it has at least a bit of truth to it,
because I have, not yet spun, processed fiber of both types in my fiber
bucket.  There is a difference in the feel between the two types of
fibers.  However, it is very slight.   If anyone is interested in
checking out the samples, I would be happy to bring some with me.

     [Laurel Hat On]  And to be honest... I could understand going the
extra mile to get as period of fabric as you could possibly get for an
item you were entering in say...  Kingdom A&S.  But I see NO reason to
be that anal retentive for your "everyday" clothes.  Especially
considering how *difficult* it is to get real linen in this part of the
country that ISN'T some awful polyester/rayon blend crap called "Linen
Look".  I'd really like to know just how someone is going to tell that
you've used a linen/ramie blend or even a linen/cotton blend unless you
confess the truth. lol  There are many different degrees of processing
of fiber, and linen doesn't *have* to be coarsely woven.  Linen CAN be
spun very finely, just ask me to show you.  :)  [Laurel Hat Off]

    I think this is a good time to remember... "Opinions are like a-
holes...  Everyone has one..."  <wink>

   So!  Anyone want to learn to spin?  <grin>

Fionna