[Ravensfort] viking garb - Olivia

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 23:11:01 PST 2004

Actually...believe it or not ...we agree. If someone wishes to add to the flavor of the event
or just have a set of "viking clothes"...out of any reasonable fabric...kewl...most of the twill I wear is acrylic cause I can't find wool in those patterns and colours...but if they want to make a good attempt, articles like the one posted are a good starting point.

If they don't...kewl...everyone has their own thing/level/wants/needs...etc.

And you are right about the fact that they wouldn't wear their "best clothes" for everyday.
The probability is that they wore their "best clothes" when it mattered to them...like for
state occaisions or festivals or negotiations...etc. So it depends upon upon how you view
events...to some people each event is like a town's market festival where the town folk dress up to show off to the visitors and the visitors dress up to make an impression...
to others it is just like daily activity in a town...

Lorraine

"Olivia G. Rodrigues" <ladyoliviar at lycos.com> wrote:
Hear, hear Xanthe!

While I love history, and attempting to be as historically correct as possible is a good thing for some, I can only do what my budget allows. Besides, perhaps a viking woman of olde only wore the silk and wool at funerals and weddings? Who wants to slaughter roe deer in silk? Not that I am, in the LEAST, any degree of authority on the Viking age so, my most Excellent Lorraine, don't jump! LOL This is just in agreement for both sides of the re-enactment fence. Those of us that like to play in history vs. those that insist on living it. All I know is that I'm a member of the Society for CREATIVE Anachronism...not the Society for Compulsive Analism.
We play, we (hopefully) learn and we go on.

In service and support,

Olivia