[Ravensfort] viking garb

Cam Battaglia momma_cammie at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 18:54:54 PST 2004

jacinth <jacinth at mail.ev1.net> wrote:
Just because others do it, does not mean it is right to do it. I am quite
publicly saying that. If you are offended say so, just as I did -- it is your
responsibility to say when someone is going too far, otherwise they are
probably not going to notice. ...

<snip>

 It has to start somewhere, and that means telling others that what
they are doing is hurtful... whether or not they listen, well, that is up to
them. What I was trying to say (perhaps in an over-wordy fashion) is
respect others decicision to be as authentic as they like... it does take a
certain retentiveness to digest some of the data that is out there. You
should be happy there are people out there who are willing to do it and
even happier when they share it, not tearing them down for their
doggedness. That smacks of sour grapes. Name-calling has no place on
this list.

I agree with your statements whole-heartedly ... and those who know me well know that I am not bashful about calling someone to task when their actions displease me.  And believe me when I say that I have "preached the sermon" to several players of our fair game when they have been extremely hurtful with their words!  We should all stop before judging at a glance and try to find out the full reason before we snipe.

I do have a problem with those who have the knowledge, but do not share it with the offender.  Rather than take the time to speak gently and privately with them, to determine the reasons for their "faux pas", there are some that will just simply begin railing at the offender but never quite fully explain exactly what the problems with the garb are.  Then they are off in a huff, overly concerned about their own sense of outrage ... and never once give a thought to the (usually) poor newbie that they have just torn to shreds.  Yes, I have seen this happen and have objected STRONGLY to the person who did it!

There are, on the other hand, many wonderful, gracious, knowledgeable people in our society that are very generous with their knowledge ... and these are the ones that will take the time to instruct and make each event a learning experience for either themselves or someone else.  I sing their praises and rejoice in knowing several of them.  They are IMHO the shining stars of our fair game.

Ly. Katrina Alyse Argo
a.k.a. Momma Cammie
m.k.a. Cam Battaglia
The world of poetry, mythology, and religion represents the world as a man would like to have it ...  while science represents the world as he gradually comes to discover it.