[Ravensfort] Peers

Cam Battaglia momma_cammie at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 15:45:56 PST 2004

dankat at tca.net wrote:
Hi Cammie,

I hope you don't mind me addressing a comment you made with my own
opinion for everyone to think about. Specifically, you said, "Perhaps
if our Peers would SAY something to those that are guilty of these
actions, we could get beyond the snide names that are so very hurtful."

Honestly, I do think most peers *do* say something when they witness
such an incident. And perhaps I'm reading your message wrong, but it
almost sounds like you're trying to put the responsibility for stopping
incidents of this nature solely in the laps of the Peers. That's an
awful burden to lay in the lap of a few... Peers cannot be everywhere
at once, and I feel it is *everyone's* responsibility to try and help
make things a little better. Another thing to remember is that peers
are people too, and can and do exhibit poor behavior just as well as
anyone else.
++++++++++++++++++++

Fionna,

Point taken ... and I'm not trying to lay it all on the Peerage.  Lord knows they are busy enough and don't need any more pressure.  As I have said many times before, and will say many times again ... our Peerage is one of the hardest working, most involved groups in the Knowne World!  Bless them each and every one for the jobs that they do, and given the opportunity, I would assist any of them if it is in my power to do so.  They are the jewels of our game and should be polished more often, and praised even more.

However,  there are some people that play in our game that I have confronted directly over their rudeness to others who simply won't listen because I do not happen to have a Peerage to back me up.  Obviously, I don't know what I am talking about because all I carry is an AoA ... forget common sense and decency, and what your mother taught you was proper etiquette!  And many times the person sniping at another has been a Peer themselves.  Can you imagine the effrontery of a "nobody" to call them to task?  Well, I can ... because I have been met with that type of attitude.

I have a rather tough hide, and I don't let it bother me too much.  I can shrug it off and say that perhaps they were merely having a bad day in Bedrock ... but I have seen and felt the pain of much more fragile psyches when they have been attacked for whatever reason ... whether it is garb, encampment, food, it doesn't matter.  I have tried to explain to these poor unfortunates that not everyone is going to treat them this way, and I have introduced a few to some other Peers who have shown them that this is true.  But we have lost more than a few in the 18 years that I have been playing because of this attitude of a (thankful) few.

No, I state here and now IT IS EVERYONE'S RESPONSIBILITY to step up and say something.  But if a Peer is the guilty party ... perhaps being "advised" by a few of their fellow Peers to cease and desist might make more of an impression on them.

Just my 2 cents!

Ly. Katrina Alyse Argo
a.k.a. Momma Cammie
m.k.a. Cam Battaglia
The world of poetry, mythology, and religion represents the world as a man would like to have it ...  while science represents the world as he gradually comes to discover it.