[Ravensfort] Peers

dankat at tca.net dankat at tca.net
Wed Feb 4 14:27:52 PST 2004

Hi Cammie,

   I hope you don't mind me addressing a comment you made with my own
opinion for everyone to think about.  Specifically, you said, "Perhaps
if our Peers would SAY something to those that are guilty of these
actions, we could get beyond the snide names that are so very hurtful."

   Honestly, I do think most peers *do* say something when they witness
such an incident.  And perhaps I'm reading your message wrong, but it
almost sounds like you're trying to put the responsibility for stopping
incidents of this nature solely in the laps of the Peers.  That's an
awful burden to lay in the lap of a few...  Peers cannot be everywhere
at once, and I feel it is *everyone's* responsibility to try and help
make things a little better.  Another thing to remember is that peers
are people too, and can and do exhibit poor behavior just as well as
anyone else.

   If you (and I don't mean you in particular Cammie, I'm addressing
this to anyone who is reading my message) are not comfortable telling
someone that you feel they have acted badly and why...  There are other
ways of accomplishing the same thing.  Example-If you happen to catch
someone telling Clarissima that period food tastes bad and they'd
starve before they tried any...  You could just give a big laugh, and
say, "Good!  More for me!!"  and you've succeeded in pointing out to
them, that maybe it does taste good afterall, and aren't they being
just a little bit silly...

    I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I think we should
*all*, not just peers, take just a little bit of responsibility if we
happen to witness an untoward incident.  And, that there are any number
of different ways of handling such an incident.

Fionna