[Ravensfort] snowbird wikings

Cathal SilAlmhain silalmhain at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 13:35:35 PST 2004

hee hee hee.  I live down here in brownsville/south
padre island and we have a LOT of "snowbirds".  We
call them winter texans.  ANyway, the mere image of
these white-haired bent-over feeble geriatrics
wielding broadswords and boarding axes invading my
humble home was too much for me to bear without a good
laugh.

Imagine myself and a few frinds of mine sitting in our
local watering hole having a drink at the end of a
long workday, and out pops grandma and grandpa from
their chrysler concorde and ambling--no, wait, that
still implies too much alacrity in their
movement--slothing their way over to the bar,
chainmail clinking, helm with nasal and oculars
(grampie still needs his spectacles), round shield in
one hand and sword in the other, both hands on their
walkers, oxygen tank in tow, screaming (rather feebly)
their barsark rage and then coughing uncontrollably
for a minute or two, while we sit there and watch the
whole production.

ya'll can take the image from there.

too funny.

--- L T <ldeerslayer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Another Defender from Bryn Gwlad... ;)

> Chris Zakes <moondrgn at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:22:02 -0600
> To: "Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc."
> From: Chris Zakes
> Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] NORTH SEA RAIDS CANCELED
> ?????
>
> At 02:39 PM 2/12/04 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >Does anyone else see the irony in this?
> >
> >The Norse didn't go viking 'cause of cold and snow.
> :)
>

> Well... think about it for a moment. *Where* did the
> Norse go viking? It
> wasn't in Scandanavia, it was farther south, in the
> British Isles, France,
> etc. Sort of like the "snowbirds" we see in southern
> Texas during the
> winter, only with swords.
>
> -Tivar Moondragon
> Ansteorra