[Ravensfort] Update on Care Packages

Shane Wallace sdwsdw30 at totalzone.com
Thu Jul 22 09:28:48 PDT 2004

Greetings,
Lady Xanthe is absolutely correct......... Baronial funds can not be
used for this purpose according to Kingdom and Society Law. Furthermore,
although this is a noble idea we should stay on topic when posting to
the list. The focus of any SCA list should be on the SCA functions, its
members, and the Time Periods that it deals with....... Off topics
should go through other  means of dispersal, such as private emails.....
In Service,
Lord Malcolm de Crauford
Seneschal

rachel luce wrote:

> >Paul Gilbert <niklas at pbgilbert.net> wrote:.
> >We just need to make sure we can do it under the Barony's name and
> have a
> >plan to do it with, rather that shooting from the hip and not hitting
> anything.
>
> Doing it under the arony's *name* isn't going to be a problem. It's
> with the Barony's *funds* that you're going to run into some pretty
> strict guidelines. Speaking as somebody who happens to be reeve for
> another group the one unbreakable rule is that any expense (in this
> case mailing costs) must show substantial benefit to the exempt
> purpose of the SCA. (pg 22, Exchequer's Handbook v2003.) The SCA's
>  purpose is the study of the Middle Ages and the Rennaissance.
> Generally speaking we can't give /pay money that benefits private
> companies or individuals unless we are getting an item or service back
> htat the group will use to further hte SCA's purpose ( portapotties
> for an event, pavillions for the Barony, rent for a group mailbox
> etc.) SO off the top of my head I'd say we
>  (Raven's Fort) cannot reimburse anyone mailing costs for these care
> packages BUT we can pass the hat at Populace. My two cents...
>                                                                   -Xanthe

Robert Wrote:

I have no issue with what you are attempting to do,
and think its a worthy action, that of helping part of
our community. My issue lies with turning this list
into a mundane political platform. If thats not whats
going to happen then I will happily go back to quietly
reading.
 Robert