[Ravensfort] Update on Care Packages

Jan Aarons loveofhalesworth at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 23 20:09:04 PDT 2004

Actually no, it did not have any undertones. All I ask from the members of the Barony was, if they wanted to write letters about their hobby of the SCA and prehaps share a picture of theirselves in garb. I thought it would give the person receiving it a great story to tell and pictures to show. Originally I suggested a penny drive but since someone has graciously donated the shipping of the package we no longer need to do that. I met several people at Gulf War several months back from other kingdoms and I know they were soon to leave to go overseas. I was hoping one of our packages either got to them or at the very least one of the stories from the soldiers would get back to a SCA member and they would know we are thinking of them. Not at anytime did I ask for the Barony to help pay anything, I simply ask for letters and pictures from the members of the Barony. There were no undertones. And anyone who knows me knows I have no hidden agenda. I want to help our soldiers because I love
 my country and I like my lifestyle and I like being able to play in the SCA and I want to let the people willing to give their life to protect that way of life how much I really appreciate it. And to bring a smile to a soldiers face. Nothing else. And for that matter of fact I figured even with the penny drive I would never raise enough money to pay the shipping and I would pay the difference myself. But now I have a sponser on the shipping and I can buy more items to ship overseas to our great army of knights. And that is all there was to it. Nothing more and nothing less.

In Service, Love

Paul Gilbert <niklas at pbgilbert.net> wrote:
Hi......

Maybe I did not explain well enough......

The project does not have to be from the barony....but the undertones of
what was being posted indicated that it was headed in that direction, so
thus the post I presented to make sure all our ducks were in a row and
correctly quacking.

There is no reason it can't be and in fact, it would really be best, if the
project came from a group of individuals for the reasons you and others
have cited.

It is a good idea, but just needs some direction and care.

Hope that helps explain better.

Niklas

pgilber at dot.state.tx.us