[Ravensfort] Event Report: Pennsic Day 2 (Monday)

Corbisier, Barbara L barb at tamu.edu
Thu Aug 25 13:29:59 PDT 2005

Monday I had to get up way too early, especially after staying up the night before, and getting only a
few hours sleep on the drive up, and not being able to sleep very well while we were packing
(nothing like waking up multiple times during the night panicked about what we were forgetting...).
Why so early? Registration for the A&S Exhibition started at 7:00 a.m.!  I didn't get there that early,
but I did get there and registered before the thing opened at 9:00 a.m.

The East and Midrealm had their own long line of display tables in the Barn.  So did Aethelmearc.
Understandable--it's the East's and Mid's war, and Aethelmearc's hosting.  Then there was what I like
to refer to as the "little kingdom's table" which was every other Kingdom, which was a line of tables
in the back of the barn in the dark.  And a lot of them were already taken up.  This actually turned
out to be not so bad, because I ended up being right on the corner by the back door to the barn, so I
had pretty good traffic past my display.

And what did I display, you may ask?  (Go ahead.  I'll wait.)  Oh, I'm so glad you asked.  His
Excellency Sir Godwin was good enough to loan me the Court Barony scroll I did for him, so I
displayed that in a big gold frame on a big silver easel.  I also had my scribal portfolio there if
anybody wanted to take a look.  I had many conversations with scribes from the Known World, both
more and less experienced than myself, which was great.  I was honored with no less than 12 tokens,
four of which were from the Queens of Northshield, The East, The Midrealm, and Artemisia.  Her
Majesty Fina of Northshield gave out runic stones as tokens.  When she saw something she liked, she
turned to her lady in waiting and said, "Rock me, baby!"

Mistress Catriona of the East organized the display.  She is a late-period clothing laurel, so I took
advantage of the fact that she was sitting at the check-in table with nothing to do, and discussed my
"puff pin" theory with her (ask me about it at the next event if you don't know what this is).  At the
end of our conversation, she was intrigued and suggested I write up something for TI, as well as
keeping her up to date on anything I find out.

There are some really talented people in the Known World.  Standouts in my mind: the jeweled
salamander, the body of which was a huge baroque pearl (several inches long); the horn of Chivalry
of the Midrealm, a carved horn with bas relief knights around the top, a jeweled edge and a fisted
metal gauntlet on the end; a stained glass laurel "scroll"; a hand-dyed one-color quilt with images of
monsters and such around the edge (I'm biased on this last one because my friend Sarah Davies did
it, but it's way cool and documentable period quilting!). The one disappointing thing about the
Exhibition was that I was the only Ansteorran displaying anything!  So I challenge all of you: Get to
Pennsic and display your artistic works!

The exhibition ended mid-afternoon, and we gathered up our things and headed to Ansteorra Royal
because we hadn't had a chance to check-in yet.  Unfortunately, nobody was there.  So we continued
back to our encampment to drop things off.  It was about time to eat, so we did.  Gregor and I
stopped back at Ansteorra Royal, and Mistress Genevera was there.  She assured us that TRM were
set for help, but gave us a rundown on their schedule for the week so we could check back later.

We went back to our camp, and my good friend Mistress Pagan Graeme wanted to go shopping.  Who
am I to argue with a Peer?  We walked around the various shops that were still open, and decided to
get some cobbler.  While in line, who came up behind us but TRM Jason and Saereid!  I introduced
Pagan to Their Majesties so that they could assure Mistress Lorraine that Pagan does actually exist
(not that I think there's any doubt, but it's always good to have backup).

After enjoying our cobbler, Pagan and I headed back to the encampment. After sitting around the fire
for a bit, we turned in.

And thus ends the report for Day 2.

In service,
-Lady Catherine Barbary

--
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina.