[Ravensfort] oh, last night!

David R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Fri Dec 2 15:04:08 PST 2005

I left without saying goodbye last night.  I had too.  Imagine that, dsd actually lost his temper!

Amidst the fountains of joy and friendship, the giving, the food, the fun, the camaraderie, the happiness, the smiles, the laughter, the revelry, the sharing, and just plain all around good times, I overheard a comment that caused me some concern.  It was an insult, plain and simple, and an indicator of things simmering just below the surface with at least one person.  It was, straight up, second-class behavior.  There was no mirth or joy in it that would allow one to think it was a joke.  It cannot be laughed off.  It was meant and said to be mean and it had no business at our revel.

I won't name the culprit.  It's far more effective to allow one some measure of grace. They are listening, that is enough to know.  I'd rather give them the chance to reflect and to consider why their words would be taken as an insult, without inflaming.  I hope they will consider my kindness and that they will look deeply into the action, the comment, and all things associated there.  In this instance, I don't believe, the real problem is on the outside.  I won't even mention what was said.  Although it was a sweet, sweet irony.

Any intentionally mean or ugly behavior is simply not the sort of thing we want to see in Raven's Fort. Happiness, community, enjoyment, love, good feelings, friendship, brotherhood, sisterhood, sharing, all those good things that overflowed last evening are an overwhleming indication of what Ravens Forter's want to see in Raven's Fort. It is my hope that by making a small issue of it here, in public, that we won't hear of or see such things in the future.

Having said that I would commend each and all.  It was a wonderful evening.  We are on a good path.  Faces were around that I've not seen in far too long.  Everyone was smiling and having fun.  My hat is off to the group first, and also to the V&V.  We've been through much and mutually suffered some growing pains, but behind it all the bonds are strong and the future positive.  Soon as we've got a decision from the Crown, I'd say hook up the mules and get ready for the morning plow.... You know it, You can feel it! ....it's that sandy itch in yer drawers, Raven's Fort is on the rebound, with thanks to all, and that is a good thing...  ;)

dsd