[Ravensfort] Patent History

David Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Thu Jun 16 07:33:36 PDT 2005

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi2002.htm

Yesterday I had fleeting thoughts of trying to patent a one legged milk
stool (although the idea's dual use as a mass weapon is probably equally
valid).  Milk stools aren't new, in fact, they probably emerged shortly
after man squeezed his first teat.  If you've ever milked a cow, you'll
agree it's best done sitting down.  If you've ever milked five cows in a
row, you'll know why.

I'd love to have the patent drawing hanging on my wall at work; they
always seemed so romantic and novel.  One of my employer's a few years'
back had one for a reciprocating engine that he had come up with.  He
also had a working model which powered a toy train, made out of brass.
The whole contraption would have fit into a shoe box and probably
weighed 60 lbs.  Like most train engines, you wouldn't want to drop it
on your foot.

Anyway back to my idea.  A patent would be cool.  A milk stool patent
would be amusing.  To my surprise, today the newest 'Engines' episode
talks about patents and guess what?  They are almost, kind of, sort of,
period.  At least, the roots of our modern patent system link back to
period times.

So milk stool or mass weapon?  I don't know. Some goof ball lawyer would
get it all backwards somehow and sit on the wrong part and it's not like
Hollywood would ever break a milk stool over someone's head.  I guess
there's not a market.  Oh well, look me up, I'll bring the working model
to an event sometime.  Maybe you can help me figure out how to
incorporate one into a Swiss Army knife.  :-)

take a listen,

Regards,

dsd