[Ravensfort] yin/yang

David R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Thu Mar 31 07:16:32 PST 2005

I love my job.  I've been playing again.  Check out the following link:

http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/yinyang.htm
Where does the yin/yang symbol come from?

I tested the theory in a "speeded" up fashion using 3d Studio Max's sunlight system.  Essentially the program calculates exact sun position for any date, then uses that data to generate light and shadows for the scene.  In the end it spit out an animation clip showing the stick's shadow progression over a 365 day cycle.  Darned if it ain't close.

Being such a simple method of seasonal observation, I'm suprised we don't see the same symbology crop up in other cultures.  Has anyone ever run across a similar symbol but from a different origin or culture?

regards,
dsd