[Ravensfort] Being period AND having fun

HerrDetlef at aol.com HerrDetlef at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 08:07:47 PDT 2007

What's with this either/or mentality?  I had always thought that the  idea
behind the SCA (since the days of the "Last Tournament" in Mistress Diana
Listmaker's backyard) was to have fun by researching the Middle Ages and
recreating a pre-modern European society.  By the time I had started  playing, there
was already a widening gulf between what were then termed  "fun-mavens" and
"authenicity-mavens".  The accompanying illustration to  the article in which I
first saw that distinction showed a tavern wench and a  woman dressed up like
Mary Tudor with a Laurel medallion around her neck.   What....peers can't have
fun?  Newcomers can't strive for  authenticity?

How about a both/and approach to all this?  Authenticity can be  fun.  I
agree with Lord Devin on that front...there are other ways to have  fun.  Nobody
is holding a gun to anybody's head and saying they MUST play  SCA.  If
authenticity isn't your cup of tea, there's no shame in shopping  for another flavor.

There are limits to authenticity.  The Inquisition is period, and yet  nobody
advocates burning heretics at the stake.  The Plague is period, and  yet
nobody advocates letting flea-infested rats run loose in anyone's  home.  And
unlike certain Civil War groups, we are not about re-enacting  history.  At the
same time, there are limits to having fun.  Country  and western dancing is fun,
but don't hold your breath waiting to see me show up  at an event site with
my straw had and ropers.  Watching the Science  Fiction network is fun, but you
will never see me at an event recreating scenes  from "The Matrix" or "V For
Vendetta".  (A version of this is a guilty  pleasure of mine.  Anybody who
doesn't know how much I LOVE "The Lion in  Winter" hasn't been playing very long.
 I have that play/movie committed to  memory, and I do believe there's a line
there for almost every situation under  the sun, but I cringe when I catch
myself quoting lines at an SCA event.   While the characters in the play/movie
are period, the script itself is  not.)  There's a balance, and the SCA is a
place where researching medieval  culture and having fun intersect.  This is
going to sound harsh, but if  those two things are mutually exclusive, it's quite
possible that the  SCA is not for you.

The SCA has NEVER been a re-enactment group.  We strive for the best  that
the medieval period has to offer, to create a new society with a medieval
character.  Still, there is no reason to think that researching and  recreating the
Middle Ages and having fun are mutually exclusive.  The  reason there is an
SCA is because thousand of people have believed that  researching and
recreating the Middle Ages IS fun.