[Ravensfort] Being Period

Michelle Lopez ivarra20 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 14:39:10 PDT 2007

My thanks,

  And no I am not scared off.  I have no problem with trying to be authentic as it is part of the fun.  I have a deep love for the Plantagenet England myself.  The entire story of Eleanor and Henry moves me deeply (heck I even named my horse after Eleanor!)   However I like the Irish so I was torn.  I personally went with my family name and ran with it.
  What I find most disappointing is the serious lack of Equestrians in the area.  I would have thought there where more, but I have seen very little. I have been trying to organize something, and perhaps I may get lucky.  Who knows...  After all civilization was built on the bones of horses.

byzytym <byzytym at charter.net> wrote:
          Michelle,

  I believe your first post was about how hard it is to be a single mother with three children at events and how you were put off by long time SCA members with their noses in the air complaining that their world had been shattered because they spotted some small thing mundane.  Let me first say that my heart goes out to any parent having to deal with kids on their own.  Kudos to you all for braving the difficulties and exposing your children to this type of learning at our events.  Passing medieval knowledge down to future generations is why we are granted a nonprofit status.  You indicated that you make an effort to hide the non-period buttons and Velcro so they are not visible at a glance.  Thank you for that.  Most people in the SCA do their best to do the same.  I question the validity of the people who complain, but ware costumes made on a modern sewing machines.  It is my sincere hope that all of this brouhaha has not soured you (as a newcomer) on the SCA.  Most of us
 are reasonable, tolerant and kind.  We love having you and your children come out and if that means that you take a few hidden liberties to make it workable, more power to you.

  Pax,
  MARIVS

  "What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul ?"