[Ravensfort] Online vs paper newsletters

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Sat Jun 30 15:46:18 PDT 2007

Online should be cheaper for the chroniclers office than a printed copy.

Since I am going to guess that nobody is still using typewriters and
doing paste-ups to produce their newsletter and are instead using word
processors or other page layout software to produce the newsletter you
start out with an electronic copy.  It seems foolish to me to not take
advantage of the fact that you already have the newsletters electronically.

One advantage on an electronic and online newsletter for free is that
the newsletter can now be shared online with all of those who would not
have otherwise purchased a subscription.  I believe that is a bonus.

Another advantage is that online you can have color photos and artwork
without having to pay for the color printing.

For all those members who are willing to get their copy electronically
only then it costs the branch essentially nothing.

If you want a hard copy and have a printer at home you can print it
yourself if you have a printer.  Good HP branded paper costs lest than a
penny a sheet  and  good HP branded toner will cost lest that 4 cents a
sheet per side.    If you are a subscriber to the newsletter then you
should be able to print a doublesided sheet at home for less than 10
cents a sheet and that should be cheaper than you can get it copied and
mailed to you by the chronicler.  It should be cheaper for you to print
at home than for you to pay for a subscription to have it printed and
mailed to you and take the risk that it is lost or mangled in the mail.

Since most officer uplines and crowns will accept an electronic copy for
their required copy then that costs the branch essentially nothing.

Exchange copies to other branches are not a requirement.  The decision
can be made that those will only happen electronically.

Printed copies to hand out to newcomers should cost the chroniclers
office nothing.  That should be a function of the hospitalers office and
should be in that budget.  And for the few that office should need they
should be able to be printed as needed for less than 10 cents a double
sided page.

The cost to the branch will be for the few people do not have a computer
or online access and must have a hardcopy to get a newsletter.   That
cost is there only if the branch is committed to going ahead and
providing newsletters for those people.  I think those people should be
few, but I also think they should also have access to a newsletter if
they want it.     In these cases they can give the chronicler postage
and it should cost the branch less than 10 cents a doublesided page to
produce the newsletter and send it to them.  As long as the newsletter
is reasonably sized those costs to the branch should be small.  However
my experience has been that the people who do not have online access,
frequently also do not subscribe to the newsletter.

Certainly the budget for a newsletter can break even, you simply make
sure you subscription costs cover all your production costs.  In fact if
ya wanted to you could most can cover your production costs and come out
ahead.

However when you have subscriptions there a lot more paperwork to be
done.  You have to keep track of all your subscribers and how many
issues are owed to them.  That amounts to extra paperwork for the
treasurers and a place were they frequently screw up.

As I see it the only remaining advantage to the group for a printed
hardcopy newsletter is to stay in touch with those people who do not
have online access.  That's an obstacle that is easily overcome and
should cost the branch little or nothing.

Regards,

-Eadric