[Ravensfort] Work day - Saturday

byzytym byzytym at att.net
Sat Jun 21 21:45:49 PDT 2008

>From the Autocrat of Defender of the Fort :

I would like to thank everyone that came out to the workday today.  The progress that we made in one day is outstanding.

Runa and Givonna sprayed the poison ivy and oak throughout the Equestrian corral, the showers, the kitchen, the list post and several key spots around the main activity area.  There will be a concerted effort to reapply the broadleaf herbicide at each workday.  By Defender we should have the situation under control.

Baron Brian, Givonna, Pace and  Runa cleared brush far back from the entry road.  It looks like the state is about to pave and interstate highway through there.  We still must receive final approval to start work on it, but we all agree that if we are allowed to remove two medium size trees and three small trees we could bring any trailer or truck through with ease.  The trees that need to be removed are sweet gums and other "trash" trees.  ( If you can really call any tree trash. )  The area is so wooded that it would be hard to tell where they were once they are gone.  Hopefully we can move forward on this at the next workday so we will have time to remove the debris before the event.

Jalili, Lathram, Givonna, Pace and that Marius person cleared a nice wide path between the Equestrian corral and the kitchen.  When you stand at the kitchen you can clearly see the corral and versa-vissa.  Over the next few workdays we would like to clear ALL of the undergrowth between the path and the road.  This will leave lots of new shady camping open for our friends on horseback.

Saint David, Lathram and Marius cleared the thorny mass that had grown up under the great lone pine tree just below the Stones.  A pass with a brushhog and a weedwacker and the make-over will be complete.  Just a quick blessing from a wisewoman will make it a suitable place for a snooze.

Our brothers from Graywood were out clearing the rotten tables and other trash from their newly adopted camp site in preparation for their House Warming Party at Defender.

There is still much to do.
There are two very big, very dead trees that are a danger and should come down before Defender.

There is only one trilitheum with a cap stone in place.  Stones need to be straightened and the other seven cap stones set.

The cut limbs and saplings from today need to be carried to the bonfire.

I was told today that the archery targets and stands have rotted and should be rebuilt before Defender.  This should be a high priority since we will probably have the Royal Huntsmen held at Defender and so will have many more than normal shooting in our Baronial Bowman competition.

There are a hand full of other things that need to be taken care of as the event gets closer, but the list above will be what we will concentrate on in the near future.  If anyone see anything that needs attention, please let me know.  It is a pleasure to see long neglected projects take shape.  Alaric Sweinbroathar, last year's Defender Autocrat was an inspiration to us all.

The potluck supper never took shape this time.  I think everyone knew that they would be too burned out to want to deal with food.  We are talking about having a site work crew and a cooking crew next time so that when the work is over the food will have already been prepared.

Again, many thanks for all of your efforts today.  Who know that such hard work could be so much fun.  I guess it was the company.

In peaceful service to the Barony,
Vlod NotVlad