[Ravensfort] Tuesday nights practice

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Wed Sep 10 22:24:14 PDT 2008

Catie Clark wrote:

> well, the last time this old sea lawyer looked at the rules, it
> didn't say what kingdom a marshal's warrant had to be from
> in order for a marshal to be present to have an official practice...
> (I should double check the Ansteorra rules before anyone goes
> to town on that...)
> My marshal-at-large warrant in Artemisia is good for 2
> more years, and you can call Duke Alan (the Earl Marshal)
> if you need to verify, but I carry the paperwork in my wallet
> regardless (and was surprised when no one asked to see my
> my card last night, but no big deal...).  Should I grab some
> Ansteorran standard fighter waiver stuff to keep in the car,
> just in case, for the next time I show up (ie next Tuesday)?

Uhhh no,  that wont work.

Are you now a resident of Ansteorra?  Meaning does you membership have
an Ansteorran address?  If so then your old authorizations are in
essence expired unless you move back to Artemesia.  The society rules
require that you authorize in your Kingdom of residence.

Sure there is reciprocity for a limited about of time on fighter
authorizations.

Think about your fighter card as like a drivers license.  When you move
from some other state to TX your drivers license is honored for a
limited amount of time while you setup residence in TX.  In Texas
limited means "New residents over 18 moving into Texas, who have a valid
driver license from their home state, have 30 days after entry into the
state to secure a Texas driver license. When heading to the DMV, be sure
to bring the license from your former state as you will be required to
surrender it in order to obtain the new license."    You don't just get
to  keep using your out of state drivers license until it expires.

That reciprocity doesn't necessarily extend to officers warrants.
Compare an SCA Marshal to the Justice of the Peace from your local
precinct.  When that JP goes out of state he cant preside over or sign
off on anything there.

Furthermore you will find that the Society Marshals Handbook also
clearly states thats for martial activities to take place there has to
be a warranted member of the Kingdom Marshallate overseeing, inspecting,
and in charge.  Not simply someone who has some marshals authorization
from somewhere.

    II.A.2.a
    All fighters, prior to combat at each and every SCA-sponsored event
    or fighting practice, shall ensure that their armor and weapons are
    inspected by a warranted member of the Kingdom Marshallate.

So a warranted member of the Ansteorran kingdom marshallate must inspect
at each and every fighter practice, demo, or event.

    IX.A.2
    Unless warranted or rostered by the Earl Marshal as an officer of
    the kingdom, a marshal may not be the Marshal in Charge of an event
    or sign the paperwork to authorize fighters.

Corpora also reinforces it:

    Corpora  II.D says:
    Events including Society combat or combat-related activities must
    have at least one warranted marshal, designated by the Marshal of
    the sponsoring branch, in attendance and responsible for those
    activities.

Notice it is not a marshal  and a warranted officer as separate people.
  It's a warranted marshal as a single person.

Of course a  "warranted member of the Kingdom Marshallate" means:

1. A paid member of the SCA  since without being a member you cant be
warranted as an officer.  The very moment a persons membership lapses
any warrants they have also lapses.

    Copora I.D.2a.
    The warrants and/or appointments of officers found to be without a
    valid membership shall be considered terminated as of the date of
    the lapse.

2.  Someone who is properly authorized as a marshal in the kingdom where
the event takes place and who has been warranted.

In Ansteorra roster warrants get signed each 6 months at the Roundtable
events (or as needed in between) and local and at-large marshals in
effect inherit  warrants from their regional uplines as long as they
remain members and recognized by those uplines as marshals in good standing.

-EA
(who has spent way too much time as a regional, kingdom, and society
officer explaining to folks what they had to do to maintain their
authorizations and warrants)