[Ravensfort] Meetings and .. stuff

Shane Wallace sdwsdw at suddenlink.net
Fri Jan 2 14:01:11 PST 2009

Greetings to all,

(Just my two cents and some suggestions.)

I agree with Lady Elke and m'lord Drew, as a past hospitaler of RF and a
past regional hospitaler of our great kingdom we should be in the public
eye. Its a very good recruiting technique. But I would NOT recommend using
the LSC for future populace meetings. Here are some reasons why: First,
there are parking issues and regulations our members and Visitors might not
be familiar with.  Second, SHSU is notorious for the hills and stairs that
might be difficult for our older members and our handicap members to
negotiate (yes, I do know the university has to be in ADA compliance).
Finally, as Lady Elke and m'lord Drew pointed out, students are not just
going to walk into an on going meeting, if they do they are usually looking
for something else.

I do think the Raven's Guild should use the LSC for their meetings. It gives
them a presence at the university. They have a right to advertize their
meetings on all approved bulletin boards through out the university, which
in turn will build their numbers. Furthermore, I think Barony members should
support the guild by maybe attending their meetings or even hosting a
refreshment buffet for the students and their guest. How about a DEMO on
campus with everyone in Garb/costume, There could be fighting light and
heavy and huge A&S displays with lots of splash and flash (decorations). Now
that would get people's attention ! ! !

I like to use the Cake Analogy when talking about the barony and the student
group. The barony is the cake, the strong foundation of the desert. The
Raven's Guild is Icing on top of the cake. Both are very important and
combine they are absolutely out of this world and unstoppable. I feel that
the populace meeting should be out in the community of the barony such as
the fire station or even a restaurant with a meeting room. Building local
members in the areas of Conroe, Huntsville, and surrounding areas will keep
group strong for years to come. Supporting the student group is very
important too. As they grow in their studies working toward their graduation
they grow in the SCA as well. Upon their completion of their studies they
will move on and join other SCA groups through out the known world thus
helping us all.

(ok, that's just my two cents... Everyone have a wonderful day and a very
happy new year. Blessing to all.)

In Service,
Lord Malcolm

P.S. I think all the officers are doing such a wonderful job ! ! !