[Ravensfort] Work Days at both sites

SF Tester sftester2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 02:49:00 PST 2009

Greetings from The Gundy!

Notes to follow, I'll attempt to be as organized as my somewhat frazzled
brain will allow...

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:36 PM, byzytym <byzytym at att.net> wrote:

>  There is still a major amount of brush clearing to do at the Conroe Site
> as well.  That will be easier than it sounds as the land owners are
> letting us use their tractor.  What we need to concentrate on before using
> the tractor again is cutting up the trees that are down so they will be ease
> to push out of the way.  Mostly limbs and a few big logs, but they do not
> have to be cut into small pieces, just enough to push around.  This needs
> to be done now while it is still cold before the snakes come out.  A chain
> saw or two will take care of it in a few hours.  Once the dead wood is out
> of the way we can run the brush-hog over the area without having to do a lot
> of back breaking chopping.

First, the tractor WILL be at the site that weekend. Long story, but it
didn't go in for repairs when planned, so they've decided to wait until the
16th to fetch it.

Another important thing. I will more than likely (ok, it's GOING to happen)
noisemaking. Before making any noise I will check the area behind the berm,
twice, and try to get my eyeballs on everyone on the site. Once you hear
gunfire, do NOT go past the berm. I HAVE to shoot a large amount in the near
future (it's for school, seriously), and with this daylight wasting time
crap I don't have as many chances as I need. And I'll have extra ammo if
anyone wants to give it a try :)

I've been talking with Mike, the landowner, while we wait for an insanely
long CNC program to run multiple times a night (see the aforementioned
frazzled brain, I hate troubleshooting) and we have something of a plan. If
we have enough people I'd like to send out raiding... err, scouting parties
with cans of orange marking paint. If it's bigger than your wrist, mark it.
Next are chainsaw teams to take care of the marked stuff that will kill the
brushhog. Then the tractor. Mike now has a rake for the tractor that will
take pretty much everything away right down to the grass. We (the me and
Mike we) would also really like to get the barn repaired. Unfortunately
we're too big to get up there and do it. The shear strength of the standard
"tin" roof is less than 1 G/SF (Gundy per square foot) and it takes physical
violence to get me up a ladder anyway. A couple of light people and a couple
of hours will get the panels replaces and screwed down. I believe he said
he's arranged for the materials already, but I'll double check that.

> I would ask that when you come to the Conroe site on February 14th you
> come ready to work.  Please bring personal tools if you have them.  Chain
> saws, hammers, shovels and anything else might come in handy.  It is only
> one day and I would like to accomplish as much as we can to show that we are
> serious about developing the site.  The owners are really nice people.
> They understand the limitations that we play under and are very egger for us
> to use the site.  This place comfortable and could be a great asset for
> us.

I was under the impression that we were going to be there both days. I will,
anyway, but then I'm there most days anyway ;) Plan is to be there by 10
Saturday morning. Yes, the 10 that happens before noon. I know, I'm not a
morning person, but school starts on the 16th and I have to be sitting at my
little desk with my pencil and excited smile at 8am. I'm not sure what's
more terrifying, my being vertical at 8am or the smile thing. Anyway, as an
added bribe I will have large amounts of deer sausage on hand, or at least
delivered at some point in the day, with plans to cook it over a hole in the
ground full of fire. I'm a one course meal kinda guy, so if anyone wants
variety it would be best to plan something to that effect. I've been
informed that beer, while required for this level of physical exertion, does
not count as a side dish. Hmm... maybe I'll make chili. Also deer. Or it
least it was a deer before a sudden, loud noise...

Chainsaws, weedeaters, and other gas powered lawn type equipment are high on
the list. We have most normal construction type tools there, but extras
can't hurt if we get into fencing (not the car antenna type).

> I realize that some of you are beginning to think that all we ever do is
> get ready for events, but never actually have one.  There are members in
> the Barony that have been playing for well over a year and still not
> attended a home event.  That will change this spring.  I have a good
> feeling about this one.  Raven's Fort gives some of the best events in the
> Kingdom.  I am really looking forward to our time to shine once again.

One of the big reasons I'm looking forward to having GPoD ready for guests
is the chance to have more than the usual pair of events. While I generally
enjoy away events, our events are home.

Ok, enough rambling. I have to get back to studying... quite probably the
inside of my eyelids this time.
--
Gundy, now with a "The"!