[Ravensfort] Banner Reminder

Sher M runa.herd at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 27 19:59:44 PDT 2009

Saturday, about 1:30 at Bedlam Bazaar (if you need directions contact me)
I will have some brushes available.  If you have brushes (artist type) you need 1 for large coverage and a fine pointed one for detail.  If you want to use the "pounce" method you'll need the circular foam on a wooden handle and a wedge shaped one for larger areas.  I have a few of those available for use.  I am trying to get stencils cutout to make it easier.  We are not getting into the very elaborate designs.  No yellow is needed as the laurel wreath will not be put on the banners or pennons.

If you have a personal device (heraldry) that you want to make, contact me and we'll see if it can be done in one afternoon.  However this first meeting is really to have something you can use at our events and non-local events to let everyone know you are from Raven's Fort.

Materials Needed:
For two banners (painted on both sides)
1/2 yard of 58-60" wide red poly-cotton fabric - wash it and dry it FIRST!  About $4.99 at Hancock's.
1 small (not the tiny but the regular size) bottle of white fabric paint
1 small (ditto) bottle of black fabric paint
1 package of Wright's (or similar) 1/2-3/4" bias tape (this is enough for 2)

For two pennons the same as above is required.

With the right fabric (trigger type thickness) you can paint on both sides of one piece.  Thinner fabric requires painting on both sides and then sewing them together.  I have thread and two sewing machines for people to use to sew the bias tape on.  If you have a portable sewing machine feel free to bring it.  NO ONE will be able to use my embroidery machine other than myself.

NOTE:  A banner is a rectangle shape not a shield shape.  If you want your banner to look like the gif on the home page of Raven's Fort then you will need to paint black around the bottom of the shield shape.  A shield shape is NOT historically correct.  Painted banners are 'historically' correct.  Painted ones were usually "temporary" banners for special events.  Our mundane paints will last a long time if you apply them correctly.  Banners are upright as on a pole (like a flag).  Pennons are meant to be displayed hanging from a spear/pole.  Pennons are triangle shaped.

Handouts for "silk banners" will be available for $2.00.  It does include all common banner, pennon, streamer, etc shapes and how to layout Kingdom, Barony, Personal devices.  Perhaps later we can do painted silk designs but not this time.

Runa The Exhausted

Sher Montgomery & The Thundering Herd
http://runa-herd.livejournal.com
www.bedlambazaar.com