[Ravensfort] The Stones work update

byzytym byzytym at att.net
Thu Mar 5 06:15:17 PST 2009

This is a post of what is printed in the "Quoth" this month.
V NV

Greetings from the Autocrat of

                               A day at The Stones of Raven's Fort :

March will be a very busy month for the Barony.  We have a very specific list of things to do at The Stones for our upcoming event the first weekend of the following month.  We have two work weekends planned.  They are March 6th, 7th & 8th and March 27th, 28th & 29th, the weekend before the event.  I am hoping for a good turn out at the first incase something comes up for the second.  Both will be CAMPING weekends so come early, stay late, work hard and have fun.

The funds to build eight Equestrian stalls have been released and we will be starting work on that first thing on the first weekend.  Alaric and Brian are looking into renting a gas powered posthole digger as there will be twenty-two holes to dig.  We will drill rope holes in the landscape timbers at the second work weekend after the concrete is set.

Another project for the first weekend will be changing out the hinge swing on the "mouse trap" doors on the kitchen and storeroom.  This should be a very quick job.

The funds to replace the shower walls have also been released.  There is a work day scheduled for March 21st, but I am hoping that Brian will have the materials available at our first work weekend so we can get started as soon as possible.  A job like this could run longer than expected.

We will need to mow the List Field, the Archery Range, the Equestrian Field, the Feast Area, the Parking Lot, around the Showers, around the Bonfire and of course The Stones.  I am not really concerned with anything else.  There is something really beautiful about the lush green of an Ansteorra early spring.  With any luck we will have a few wild flowers as well.  Pasquale Pace has promised to have his brush-hog available the last weekend of the month so the cut will be fresh.

There are a few major players for this event that will need recruits to help with their work.  VOLUNTEER.  Alaric needs trolls !  When you see the Troll signup sheet., please signup.  Pasquale will need feast servers and cleaners.  Kitsune will need kitchen help.  Those that work with Pasquale and Kitsune will eat for free.

Other than the above there is little else to do.  A small amount of windfall branches will need to be cleared from high traffic areas and water barrels will need to be filled the weekend before the event.  If I have left something out, please someone remind me.

I would like to say Kudos to the work crew that showed up for the work days at The Stones last month.  I have been involved with work days at that site for almost twenty years and I have NEVER seen so much accomplished in one day.  When we arrived on site for the first time this year it was a little disheartening to see that the Equestrian area we had worked so hard on before our postponed event was filled with branches and topped trees from the logging activity.  You could not walk from the stables to the kitchen without zigzagging around the scattered fall.  In some places you couldn't even do that, you had to go over.  When we left, everything was cleared.  I am amazed.  Everyone seemed to find their niche and didn't stop work till it was done.  That was several hours.  Some used chains to pull the big stuff to the pile.  Others chain-sawed it into bite size pieces.  Others threw the pieces on the pile.  Others collected the smaller stuff.  It was a very smooth operation.  I would be remiss if I did not mention the individuals involved : Plachoya, Saint David, Michelle, Jalali, Latham, Runa the Ever Present, Shannahan, Tareija, that Marius person, Amy the Unnamed, Kaitlyn, Magan (Raven's Guild women rule), Lemoine and Logan

The weather was clear and cool and the moon was near full.  A fog crept across the low areas in the wee hours of the morning completing the effect.  What a beautiful evening.  The local cowboy color that had taken over Sweincamp provided entertainment in the form of firearms demonstrations and night time dare-devil spinout driving.  Oh, they's just good ol' boys lettin' off a bit a steam.  Yep, full moon.  No doubt.

Hopefully we will have more weekends of cool evenings and clear days.  Thanks so much to everyone that has worked so hard over the last year.  Your efforts have once again created a family here in Raven's Fort and made it a better place to be.

Peace,

Vlod NotVlad