[Ravensfort] "new site" update

byzytym byzytym at att.net
Thu Mar 5 06:16:19 PST 2009

I may as well post the info on the "new site" as well.

I will add to the update below that I was out at the site yesterday and while there Michael and I walk the planned Equestrian area.  There is enough space for eight 7x14 stalls under the cover of the barn and at least six more stalls in the small uncovered corral attached to the barn if we need to expand.

I also dropped off a small smoker that will remain in the tavern area for use at any time.  Michael helped me with nailing together the first of the Tavern table.  The spring green has sprouted out on the trees and the grass is starting to turn as well.  I think we may be surprised by the shade and the beauty of the site once in full growth.

V NV

Greetings from the Cheerleader of the "New Site" Site Improvement Committee :

At the Officers Meeting held in February it was decided that a Site Improvement Committee be formed to facilitate the smooth coordination of site work at the new Gundy site near Conroe.  The committee will consist of : Michael - the landowner, Gundy - the site liaison, the current Seneschal,  the current B&B who will represent one vote and me - Vlod NotVlad.  I think that I was selected as a cheerleader to rally support for work days and to give word fame where it is due.

We have already begun to make some firm plans on what needs to be done.  Our goal is to have the site ready to host Raven's Fort's spring event one year from now.   A timeline will have to be set up so that the most important things will be taken care of first.

The clearing of fallen trees and tangled underbrush is at the top of the list.  There can be no event without camping areas.  A very good start was made to that end at our very first ever work weekend on site last month.  Chainsaws diced up many of the downed logs so they could be burned in or stacked for later campfires.  A bit more of this needs to be done.  If you have time to spend on site please give a hand with this by stacking cut logs between trees.  This will allow the tractor in to brush-hog and then run through again with the rake attachment to level the camping area.  I will remind everyone that the weather is starting to turn warm so keep an eye out for snakes.  Please kill the poisonous ones.  All non-poisonous snakes are our friends as they keep down the vermin population.

Second on the list will have to be showers.  Again, if there are no showers we will have a low turnout for an event.  At this time our plan is to install the showers on the east side of the barn.  Each shower will have a small dressing room attached for completely private and dry changing.  We are also talking about "on demand" hot water heaters, but that is still in the talking stage.

A kitchen is also planned for up against the back of the barn.  Having both the kitchen and showers attached to the barn will allow ready access to both electric and water.  What a huge improvement over The Stones site that will be.  No more Coleman lanterns and not more all day water barrel runs.  Saints be praised !!!

The barn itself will be modified to allow horses to be stabled individually in wooden stalls.   The stalls will be smaller than the 14x14 normally used in the SCA, but designed so the horses can not reach their heads into the next stall to steal food or bite.

Of course we still have repairs to the barn roof to take care of.  That should also be a high priority as exposed wood will break down fast.

I will be working on and footing the cost of the tavern area myself.  It is my intention to accommodate everyone with a shady, welcoming place that can used for workshops, meetings and competitions during the day and social gatherings at night when needed.  The areas for the tavern fire-ring and the Bocce Ball court have already been laid out.  Refurbishing The Dome of Saint Martin will be a major undertaking.  It will first have to be water blasted for cleanup and then primed.  The top of the dome will be painted gold and crowned with the ten pointed Ansteorrian star.  The outside walls will be crimson and adorned with Baronial and other symbols.  The inside of the dome will be painted as the starry night sky.  ( Yes, when you turn off the lights the stars will glow. )  Building tavern tables that are strong enough to dance on will be an on going project.

Beyond what has already been covered, there is a long list of other items that Michael posted online that will need to be taken care of one by one.  When our spring event is past us I am sure that there will be work weekends set up to eliminate everything on the list.  A site map is being drawn up to show the locations of everything on site including private camping areas.  We are completely open to all suggestions and brain storming for making the new site comfortable for us.  Please direct input to any of the committee members or bring them up at one of our Baronial meetings.

I was very impressed with what has already been accomplished at the new site after only one weekend.  Many thanks to the Raven's Guild college group and to everyone else that braved the rainy weather to lend a hand.  Double thanks to Gundy for the yummy spicy venison sausage and for not shooting during SCA work days.

Long live the Ravens.

Peace,

Vlod NotVlad