[Ravensfort] Help...not SCA related

Charles Netterville ck_netterville at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 6 16:59:29 PDT 2010

Since you have identified a breaker, I'm guessing you're certain that it's an electric dryer. That question being answered, the usual culprits are thermostat, switch and heating element. Conn's is an appliance chain that sells parts and I think there's one in Huntsville. Take the model number, serial number and any other pertinent information about the dryer that you can find written on it. Some of the bigger hardware stores can order parts too.
First, take a volt meter, open the back so you can access the heating element. Unplug the dryer long enough to disconnect the element. Usually just a plug or two screws depending upon the model. Then plug the dryer back in and start a drying cycle. If when you put the electrodes from your meter in the two holes of the receptacle and get approx. 220 to 240 volts, you can safely bet that it's the element. You can also check the resistance on the element itself but I have no clue as to the reading you should get so once again, consult the guys at the appliance store.
If the store where you bought it has a repair dept., they'll more forthcoming with information but any of the repair facilities in the area should be able to help you.
If the element checks out, the thermostat will be in close series with the element. If your has one it'll look like a brass bar with a wire. On yours it may be electronic and part of the solid state circuitry. If so, I haven't got a clue as to what to tell you. The next problem is usually always in the switch. You'll have to identify the contacts that actuate the heat portion. Have you tried running the dryer in different heat ranges? If it works in medium heat but not high heat, that switch is almost assuredly the culprit. If it's one of the newer fancier electronic models with the push button controls, that control panel is famous for going out and it can't be worked on. You have to have the company change the entire board. No user serviceable parts inside is NOT an understatement in this case. I learned that the hard way. Alright, now that I have you totally confused, I hope it's been helpful
In service, Elrique