[Ravensfort] Questions about viking names

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Thu May 13 12:42:15 PDT 2010

A note about some of the weird characters in Old English that might also
appear in Old Norse.

Æ æ --this symbol is known as the "ash", and it represents in Old English
the sound "a" as in "ash".

Ð ð --this symbol is known as the "eth", and it represents in Old English
the sound "th" as in "weather" and "with".

Þ þ --this symbol is known as the "thorn", and it also represents in Old
English the sound "th" as in "weather" and "with".

A couple other symbols that are found in OE manuscripts that are not
included on the MSWord list of symbols:

The symbol known as "wynn" looks like a "p", but the loop doesn't quite
connect back to the descender. It represents the sound "w" in "water". The
most familiar example I can think of is in the word "Hwæt", the first word
in the poem "Beowulf". In the Nowell Codex, the "w" sound is represented
with a wynn. It looks like "HPÆT".

The symbol known as the "yogh" looks like a cross between a "g" and a "y",
and it represents the consonant sound "y" as in "yet".

One of these days, I really would like to learn Icelandic. At least learn
how to read it. The rules are slightly different from Old English, similar
enough to tease but different enough to frustrate.

Peace again,

Detlef

--
He has told you, O mortal, what is good;
and what does the LORD require of you