[Ravensfort] WAR! News

byzytym byzytym at att.net
Sun Mar 20 02:05:45 PDT 2011

If you want to make "War" more interesting,
put something up for stakes.
No more, "Well, it was a tie, but..."
As was pointed out recently,
SCA territories are just a line on a piece of paper
and can (read have) be changed at a whim.
So let's make "War" about gathering territories.
If a Shire or Barony borders your Kingdom,
allow challenges for it.
Ya can't get more Medieval than that.
Some Kingdoms could disappear all together.
It would certainly change the dynamics of the game.
It would be more important to have a good negotiator
as a King,
than a good fighter.
But that is ok,
even fighting Kings have always had their champions
and generals for when the talking stops.
That is a historical fact.
I will remind you that we get our non-profit status
by being a historical research organization.
In my opinion,
that creates an obligation for us to be as historically correct as possible.
With that in mind,
No historical king has ever been selected by single combat tourney.
That only happens in fair tales, Hollywood and the SCA.
Since our present selection process is not historical
and since it disenfranchises the vast majority of SCA members,
perhaps we might want to reconsider the way we select a King / Queen.
Perhaps allowing the other Peers a chance to compete for Crown
would be more in keeping with the chivalrous aspects
of history that many in our Society try to project.
We could have a two year cycle
that allows each of the four Peer groups a Crown.
Six months for Chivalric Fighters.
Six months for Laurels.
Six months for Pelicans.
And six months for Rapier Fighters.
(Yes, no matter what anyone tells you, Dons are Peers.)

Anyway, I'm glad you all had a good time at "War".
I'm glad we "won".
Looking forward to hearing the stories.

Peace,
V NV