[Ravensfort] a letter from your Seneschal

Seneca of Ravensfort seneca_of_ravensfort at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 09:23:14 PDT 2014

Greetings:

It appears as your Seneschal that I have been somewhat remiss in speaking out as loudly as I could.  I have approached this position as I approach eveything and everyone in my life - with the utmost respect and loyalty as is deserved.  This position both demands and deserves a neutral but steady influence for the Barony.

Over the past couple of weeks, tensions have mounted as individuals have allowed for their emotions, egos, and pride to dictate their actions.  I have been very disappointed in how things have progressed recently, as we are a family - though we have arguments, fights, and misunderstandings as any other family would, it seems as though some in our Barony are looking for those fights, thereby trying to rip us apart.

In looking over the lists (email and facebook) I do not automatically post responses, delete statements that are made, nor censure individuals in the open.  Why?  It is not because I do not care, nor because I agree or disagree with the statement made. We are all adults and I respect each and every one of your opinions.  If inflammatory or defamatory, then I do believe that an administrator should step in -  but otherwise free expression is one of the things the SCA is all about!

As to individual issues:
(1) There is a combined business and populace meeting this month because I chose to do it this way.  I did not ask permission nor seek guidance from anyone in this decision.  I chose this because I want to have a Planning meeting this month in re: Defender and the Folk festival, as one is coming up soon and one is a huge event. Three meetings in one month is burdensome on all involved, regardless of where in the Barony the individual is from.

(2) Huntsville is chosen as the primary meeting area as it is the most central location available.  It is not a slight to our Northern members in Jewiit, Centerville, and Madisionville, nor is it a sign to our Southern members in the Woodlands or Conroe that we do not welcome their input and presence - it is honestly and simply a balance of both worlds.  This is a large Barony; ALL members are important.

(3)  As to the Scribal Symposium, or ANY other ideas for an event or demo, I welcome the ability to take the ideas to the Populace.  If someone comes up with an idea, bring it - let us discuss it - and allow the Barony as a whole to have input.   The firestorm that has errupted is unnecessary, unwarrantad, and counterproductive.  No decisions have been made one way or the other as NOTHING has been presented.

Overall, I have attempted to stay out of individual arguments and hurts as I recognize how important each of you is to the Barony and to each other.  Comments made simply to inflame a situation do just that -  inflame the situation and hurt all of us.  I cannot be the gatekeeper of what should and should not be said - no individual can, nor has the right , to do so.  Otherwise this office would become a dictatorship, censoring ideas and expressions simply because the individual holding this position disagrees.  I  WILL NOT do that as Seneschal.  I respect the Barony, the SCA, and each of you too much.

I love this Barony, as we all do.  We must act together, not separate.

YIS,
Lady Seneca of Raven's Fort
Seneschal of Raven's Fort