Terminology

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Wed Apr 9 13:50:05 PDT 1997

  Welll, Okay - I think I can figure out Cury on Inglisch (Curry on....well,
  maybe not), but please share....what  ARE viands?

vi.and \'vi--*nd\ n [ME, fr. MF, fr. ML vivanda food, alter. of L vivenda,
   neut. pl. of] vivendus, gerundive of vivere to live - more at QUICK 1: an
   article of food pl  2: PROVISIONS, FOOD

Usually, in these recipes, meat.

The word is seen in the name of one well known source, "Le Viandier du
Taillevent" (forgive the spellling, I don't know french.)

Curye on Inglishe is a collection of four cookery books form period, with
WONDERFUL notations and sources, printed by the Early English Text Society.
Very pricy (if you can find it) but WONDERFUL.

	Tibor