sca-cooks Corn and Marzipan

Thu Apr 10 12:45:12 PDT 1997

Beth Morris wrote:

> > I think you may be failing to give credit to folks' understanding of how
> > hard you have worked and how tired you are. I have had similar problems
> > with well-meaning people attempting to shove my own cooking into me, but
> > I have to put it in perspective of their intent. Under the
> > circumstances, they usually allow the cook (who, being an artist, can
> > sometimes be rude and have it labelled "eccentricity") a bit of slack.
> > So, tell them the truth, as politely as you can.
>
> I take an alternate tack and simply don't go on board at my own feasts.
> Once the last course is out (or between courses if I'm organized as
> usual), I circulate through the hall, visiting with friends and
> accepting the frequent grunted accolades of the feeding masses and the
> occasional criticism.  With no feast spot, and therefore no plate to
> fill, I avoid the issue entirely.
>
> And as you say, its not like I haven't been noshing on stuff all day!
>
> And besides, at least in our neck of the woods (northern Atlantia, DC
> metro area), feast seats are usually at a premium and therefore if I can
> give mine to a paying customer....
>
> Keilyn

YE GODS! People maintain an on-board space for themselves at events they
cook for? Oh, Oh, Oh, aren't we grand? Pin a rose on me, mater, for I'm
to be Queen of the May! Losing ten pounds in perspiration alone in a hot
kitchen isn't good enough for you, eh? Well, I'll tell you something, my
Lady: When you're walkin' 'ome tonight and some great 'omicidal maniac
comes after you with a bunch of mawmenny with a side of mortrews blanc,
don't come crying to me!

That was LUXURY! When I was a lad we used to sit on the hot rangetop,
eating shards of broken glass! And if you tell this to young kids today,
they wouldn't believe it!

Ahem! Sorry about the outburst. One of the interesting things about a
list like this is a chance to hear about the way diffferent things are
done differently around the known world... .

Adamantius, who is lucky he doesn't actually have to PAY for the seat he
has never used...