sca-cooks Greetings

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 11 06:56:11 PDT 1997

> to ask you all your opinions. The discussion is on "yeast", for brewing and
> baking. The argument seems to be split between those who believe that
> "yeast" was unknown in period and therefore should not be used in any
> authentic period cooking, baking or brewing. The other side is that although
> folks in period did not neccessarily call their leavening "yeast" we know
> now that most starters work because wild yeasts have taken up residence in
> them, and that therefore to ensure a quality product for SCA consumption it
> would not be a leap of logic to use packaged yeast for baking and brewing.
> Comments?
> thanks
> Ceridwen

Well, Cury on Inglysch specifically refers to sourdough bread (I
don't have it handy - I'm at work).  When I cooked feast I made
sourdough bread, but I "cheated" and made a "quick-starter" since
time was a factor.  There are much more period ways to get wild
yeasts, and I hope to try them soon, but sometimes I don't see the
problem with taking shortcuts.  They both result in yeast.

Claricia Nyetgale
Canton of Caldrithig
Barony of Skraeling Althing
Ealdormere  (still mostly in the Middle Kingdom)