sca-cooks Greetings

Erin Kenny Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca
Fri Apr 11 02:16:22 PDT 1997

  >Some of the things our ancestors did with food, we would not consider.  But
  >eating rotten meat is not one of them.  (Eating live animals, on the other
  >hand...)

  Huh? Meaning what? That our medieval ancestors ate live animals? When?
  What animals? documentation?

Our former local Baron, Patri du Chat Gris, showed me a period cookbook
(whose name I don't recall, alas: I could call and ask if there is great
interest).

Within that book, was a recipe for roasting a goose, alive, and pulling off
the meat as it cooked.  Without having read the entire book, and knowing the
context, it is impossible for me to know if it was a serious suggestion.  It
had a small amount of versimilitude, however, in the style and details.

	Tibor (Of course, so did Swift's Modest Proposal...)