sca-cooks Transport of Foodstuffs

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Fri Apr 11 21:29:40 PDT 1997

<< I have a question concerning the use of wine in cooking.  I am
 allergic to sulfates which are present in 'most' wines, do they cook off
 or would they remain?   >>

Alas, sulfates are persent in almost all wines. They are a natural chemical
in grapes and the supposed sulfate free wine that you see is free of the
added sulfates that are used to kill harmful (and carconiginous (sp) fungi
that would grow grow without them. If you are allergic to sulfur drugs, the
medical studies that prompted the labeling of wines containig sulfites with a
warning message was over-reaction to a 1 in 10000 scenerio and wine
containing this ingredient is basically harmless to those allergic
sulfa-drugs.

If such is not your case ( tested by a medical professional for allergic
reactions to sulphur compounds in the miniscule amounts that wine actually
contains) I would  say that your fear of eating foods that have been cooked
in wine are basically groundless and you can safely eat feasts without worry.
If your allergy is based on the AA trash against eating foods with alcohol
then again your fears are irrelevant because the alcohol is cooked out within
a matter of minutes.

Lord Ras.

Lord Ras