sca-cooks Re[2]: Atholbrose.

The Cheshire Cat mfdenton at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Sun Apr 13 18:11:13 PDT 1997

Sharon L. Harrett wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Apr 1997 Harbarth at aol.com wrote:
>
> > My wife and I are new to the SCA and we are getting ready
> > to attend our 1st event.  We have choosen the viking period
> > as a starting place in history for our garb and study.
> >
> > Looking for books or information about food and cooking
> > during that period.  Any ideas or suggestions would be very
> > helpful.
> >
> >                      In service to the Dream - Harbarth (Richard Bohlman)
> >
> In Duke Sir Cariadoc's collection of period cookbooks he includes one page
> of recipes from "An Old Icelandic Medical Miscellany" (henning Larsen, Oslo,
> 1931 pp214-218) that includes 22 recipes. I know the good Duke has a
> homepage but don't know its' address. Anyone?
>
> Ceridwen

There's just one problem with the Icelandic Medical Miscellany: while it
appears to have been written (possibly) by an Icelandic author, and
discovered in Iceland, the recipes it contains are believed to have been
acquired by the author while at medical school in one of the great
Southern European centers of learning: I don't remember if it was
Sienna, the Languedoc, or perhaps Spain. I think it was Provence,
though. So, the Miscellany appears actually to be a French cookbook
transported to Iceland.

Yes, I know life would be much simpler if stuff like this didn't happen,
but what can I say? That's the way the oubley crumbles.

Adamantius