SC - Re: sca-cooks Re: Research paper on Medieval foods.

S.Thomas morgan at in-tch.com
Mon Apr 14 18:12:58 PDT 1997

At 11:33 PM 4/11/97 -0500, Katerine Rountre wrote:
>Penzeys, Ltd.
>P.O. Box 1448
>Waukesha, WI 53187
>(414) 574-0278 8am-6pm Central Time

I got their catalog in the mail a few weeks ago. Wow! Even if I never order
any of their spices, their catalog makes for interesting reading on the
spice usage and how they are grown and harvested. They have a web page (go
to Alta Vista and do a search for "penzeys"), but there's not much there;
better to call them and request a catalog.

Irrelevent aside: I'm almost certain I got this catalog because I subscribe
to Cook's Illustrated. If you are interested in modern cookery, this
quarterly magazine is wonderful. They take a very logical and
well-illustrated approach to cooking, in a manner very reminscent of Harold
McGee ("On Food and Cooking" and "The Curious Cook"). The current issue has
a reviews of cookbooks, two-quart saucepans, and orange juices, detailed
instructions on how to prepare and serve lobster, a discussion on the best
cuts of steaks and best pans for panfrying (cast iron works best), and other
cool stuff. To steal a reference quoted earlier, "Duncan-Bob says check it out."

- -Duncan
Tom Brady             tabrady at mindspring.com          SCA: Duncan MacKinnon
  See my web pages at http://www.technomancer.com/~duncan/ for pointers
       for the Society for Creative Anachronism and gay & lesbian links