SC - Re: Re[2]: sca-cooks Creativity

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Tue Apr 15 11:44:03 PDT 1997

> Tibor writes:
>
> >>So, it would be impossible to have a period feast that involved the
> Aztec
> culture.
>

> Years ago, Master John did an Aztec feast in BMDL, so that we could know
> what was going on in other societies at the general time of the SCA.  He
> gave us a lot of information, told us where to find additional research
> ahead of time.  Some of us did a lot of research, came up with alternate
> personnas that might have attended such a feast, and thoroughly enjoyed
> it.  It is not the general pursuit of our activities, true, but it
> doesn't hurt, once in a while, when the event is as well done as John did
> it.  I remember it fondly.
>

> Allison

The one feast in BMDL I had with an Aztec theme, while it tasted good, was not
at all Aztec.  I think this example helps underscore some of the differences
between reading the recipe and getting it right.

The feast in question featured a dish by the name of mole (pronouned:
mol-ay).  I have lived in Mexico, just outside the area where the dish was
invented in the 17th century (by nuns trying to provide for a bishop during a
surprise visit -- so the legend goes).  As I was eating a quite tasty dish, I
turned to a table companion and said, "I can't wait to get to the mole."  He
replied, "You're eating it."

Mole is a sauce over a piece of meat.  The ingredients are mashed in a metata
(mortar and pestle - like) to grind them, creating a paste.  The recipe only
stated to grind them fine. Instead of being a sauce, the mole had a ground
meat-like consistency.

Beyond the difficulty creating the recipe, I would like to point out that
there are no known recipes of "Aztec" or "Maya" dishes, but only descriptions.
 As far as I know, the only Mexican recipes we have are Spanish after 1600.

Derdriu

- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/