SC - "Good food" Feast

Charles Dean charles at macquarie.matra.com.au
Wed Apr 16 05:49:51 PDT 1997

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997 20:32:37 EDT allilyn at juno.com (LYN M PARKINSON)
writes:

>While it would probably be illegal to buy cook books or equipment for
>one person, a shire/barony sponsored guild might be legally able to
>acquire these goodies, available to all for the benefit of the group's
>events.

We try not to make too much profit from events. After all we're a not for
profit group. Just enough to cover expenses and front the next event is
enough for the treasury and we usually get donations from demos that
cover most of that. We have acquired over the last couple of years a
supply of serving gear. We pick it up at flea markets! It's amazing the
beautiful metal bowls and trays that you can pick up for $1 - $2. We
haven't been able to find large pots at flea markets yet, so we always
use mine. Someday I'm going to get the group to splurge on a few big pots
and pans. Maybe after our next big demo!

>On the subject of money, some of the shires I've lived in do not have
>communal items.  Each Feast Master buys everything from scratch.  This
>is a needless expense.  Barony Marche of the Debateable Lands had a
>Barony Larder, so that the 7/8 bottle of herbs left over was available
>for the next person, and if 25 lbs of rice cost almost the same as the
>5 lb pack, the remainder could be held until next time.  If your shire
>does only 1 event a year that may not work out, but consider the
>savings.  Cleaning products, foil and plastic, as well as food staples
>are much more economical in this manner.

We also keep leftover cleaning products, etc. with the serving gear. We
keep them in Rubbermaid containers to keep them dry, clean and fresher.
It all fits under the stairs in our Chronicler $ Chirurgeon's house.
Their daughter was named our Chamberlain, because she's the only one that
can fit under the stairs to pull things out!

>Allison

Julleran