SC - spicing

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 16 08:27:26 PDT 1997

> LYN M PARKINSON wrote:
>
> > On the subject of money, some of the shires I've lived in do not have
> > communal items.  Each Feast Master buys everything from scratch.  This is
> > a needless expense.  Barony Marche of the Debateable Lands had a Barony
> > Larder, so that the 7/8 bottle of herbs left over was available for the
> > next person, and if 25 lbs of rice cost almost the same as the 5 lb pack,
> > the remainder could be held until next time.  If your shire does only 1
> > event a year that may not work out, but consider the savings.  Cleaning
> > products, foil and plastic, as well as food staples are much more
> > economical in this manner.
> >
> > Allison
>
> This method seems to have worked well for BMDL. However, it might be
> necessary to consider the cost, if any, of storage for these items. Here
> in Ostgardr, we also keep a set of Provincial feast gear and cooking
> equipment. Unfortunately, one of the problems we have had with this in
> the past is that the storage is not always very effective for certain
> items. Generally people need to be careful of how old things are,
> whether that basement, or whatever, is accessible to pet cats or less
> savory fauna. I still agree with this idea, more or less, but I can
> envision circumstances when this method might cause as many problems as
> it solves, which is probably why not everyone uses it.
>
> Adamantius

BMDL also has a crazy event schedule.  We tend to throw events every six weeks
(or less) for the most part, slowing down in the winter.  In addition, our
wonderful stewards (husband/wife) are willing to keep an eye on things and
never hestitates to ask the cook staff (not just those who run the kitchen,
but also those who work in the kitchen regularly) to tell them when things are
running low.  Finally, they have created a list of spices and kitchen
equipment for all the cooks to refer to when planning.

Derdriu
swensel at brandegee.lm.com
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/