SC - Theme feasts

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Thu Apr 17 16:24:15 PDT 1997

Talking about the miscommunications that can occur between the
kitchen crew and the servers caused me to have a sudden perverse
desire to solicit server horror stories from sca-cooks' participants,
either gaffes you've seen or made yourself.

For years, friends were wary about letting me on serving crews even
when I volunteered because I am the messiest adult eater I know.  I
narrowly escaped being given a bib to go with my Coronation garb.
And this is not from lack of trying to be neat!  It just seems that
the amount of food I spill or tip on myself and others is directly
proportional to the formality of the occasion.

Nevertheless, aside from a few awkward moments with ladles, I'm a
pretty good server.  I understand the concept of "portion control".
(What a phrase.)  I've never flung gravy on a king, not even at 30YC.
(I threw chicken *at* *MY king* on one occasion, but that was
entirely voluntary.)  I digress.  I'm not sure I understand why the
concept of portion control is so difficult to convey, I guess.

But that's not even my horror story for today.  No, indeed.  I
discovered an important point that msut be conveyed in servers'
briefings:  at al-Barran Midwinter last, I was serving head table.
Coming back to the kitchen for a refill of soup, my partner and I
were horrified to observe one of the servers pick up a pewter water
pitcher, *chug from it* and then sprint off into the dining hall, to
pour more water for the diners!  No, we didn't catch him first!

TIP FOR SERVERS:  DON'T DRINK FROM THE PITCHERS!!!

Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
Barony of Caerthe
Kingdom of the Outlands