SC - Viking Pie

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Apr 19 06:58:43 PDT 1997

<< Has anybody else seen the ostrich meat that is beginning to be for sale?
 It is HIGH priced, or I'd have tried some.  It was all packed in cryovac,
 in a special refrigerated case, with posters all over the place telling
 about it.  I think I saw it in my son's fancy Giant Eagle in Pittsburgh,
 but it might have been here in Ohio.  I wondered if it would be as tough
 and gamey as the peacocks and swans are said to be. >>

Ostrich is farm-raised. It has the texture and flavor of beef and is cooked
in the same way as beef. It is NOT a game animal and bears no resemblance to
game, taste or otherwise. I have not come across any period recipes using
this wonderful new addition to the butcher's case. (Yet! :-))

Lord Ras

Lord Ras