SC - SC: Candied Ginger

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Sun Apr 20 11:33:02 PDT 1997

I've had candied ginger twice at an SCA event.  Both times it looked like
dark brown crystals.  I've also seen candied ginger in the exotic foods aisle
of my supermarket although I've never bought it and it also looks like dark
brown crystals.  I recently tried making candied orange peels, nutmegs and
ginger.  I used the recipe from _Delights for Ladies_ by Sir Hugh Plat in
Cariadoc's cookbook.  Everything came out tasting as I expected it, but the
ginger looks like dried ginger root, not dark brown crystals.  I'm not
really surprized at this as the orange peels look like dried orange peels
and the nutmegs look like glossy nutmegs.  Why does the stuff at the super-
market look so different?  And was the stuff I ate at SCA events only
commercial candy rather than homemade?  Or is some way of making it come out
as crystals.  Frankly, it's easier to get someone to try a dark crystal than
bite into something that looks like a ginger root.
							-- Dagonell
               ______
              /      |   INTERNET   : salley at cs.canisius.edu
             /       |   USNAILNET  : David P. Salley, 136 Shepard Street,
    ________/        |                Buffalo, New York 14212-2029 U.S.A.
   |*                |   WEB-NET    : http://www-cs.canisius.edu/~salley
  /  Rhydderich Hael |   ICBMNET    : 42 55 32 N / 78 51 10 W / Alt 600
 |______________     |   PERSONA    : Lord Dagonell Collingwood of Emerald Lake
 AEthelmearc,   `_   |                AKA Dagonell the Juggler
    East Kingdom  `__|   DISCLAIMER :"Canisius never agrees with me."