SC - Candied Horseradish Silly

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Tue Apr 22 05:38:32 PDT 1997

Terry Nutter wrote:

> >Are you suggesting that meals were either all meat or all fish? I don't
> >think the extant menus support that.
>
> Every extant English menu I've seen does; I haven't studied menus from
> elsewhere nearly so closely, but I don't recall any French menus that
> included fish on meat days either.  However, this is certainly something
> that is likely to have varied by place and by time -- the latter
> especially, as the number of days of abstinence in the calendar
> declined.  I would't want to make any claim about 16th century menus,
> without careful study.

I suppose it just depends on where you looked; I'm sure neither of us is
familiar with every menu there is, so it's quite possible that two
different random samples have left us with different impressions. There
are two menus quoted from MS. Cosin V.III.II (C) on page 39 of "Curye on
Inglysch": one for a feast for the King at home with the Lord Spenser,
and another for the King at home for his own table. Both contain
mixtures of meat, fish, and fowl. I have seen menus which, taken by
themselves, would certainly seem to support the idea that fish would not
be eaten on meat days. Still, there are others.

I vaguely recollect seeing just the other day a menu for the coronation
feast of Henry the Fifth of England: It seems to have just a bit of
quadruped meat in it, plenty of fish, and a subtlety of roasted swans
swimming on a lake of silver-plated jelly. I think it may have been
somewhere in one of the books in the Cariadoc collection, but offhand I
don't remember.

Gettin' too old for this kind of thing, I suppose...

Adamantius

I have a vague recollection of reading