: SC - Recipes and Redactions

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 22 07:13:48 PDT 1997

>> Hi, Katerine here.  Adamantius writes:
>>
>> >Seems as though the commonest method would be to fry with no coating at
>> >all, using olive oil or "whyte grees": effectively lard or rendered
>> >suet. Taillevent mentions frying certain fish dishes with no coating of
>> >flour, presumably he wouldn't mention this unless the habit existed.
>>
>> Are you certain that either lard or suet was ever used?  I ask, because
>> all records show virtually no consumption of fish outside of days of
>> abstinence, when both lard and suet would be forbidden.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -- Katerine/Terry
>
>No, I'm not certain. You'll notice I mentioned olive oil first. Other
>possibilities include, depending on where you are, various nut oils,
>sunflower seed oil, rapeseed oil, and several others.
>
>Are you suggesting that meals were either all meat or all fish? I don't
>think the extant menus support that.
>
>Adamantius

Here we go---what's needed is some documentation. Robert May planned a
Christmas Day Menu (The Accomplisht Cook). My Source: Old Cook Books, An
Illuminated History, Eric Quayle 1978.

Here it is:
Oysters
A Collar of Brawn
Stewed Broth of Mutton  marrow bones
A grand Sallet
A Pottage of Caponets
A Breast of Veal in Stoffado
A Boil'd Partridge
A chine of Beef, or surloin roast
Minced pies
A jegote of mutton with anchovie sauce
A made dish of sweet-bread
A swan roast
A pasty of venison
A kid with a pudding in his belly
A steak pie
A haunch of Venison roasted
A turkey roast and stuck with cloves
A made dish of chickens in puff paste
Two bran geese roasted, one larded
Two large capons, one larded
A Custard

The Second Course for the Same Mess

Oranges and Lemons
A young lamb or kid
Two couple of rabbits, two larded
A pig souc'd with tongues
Three ducks, one larded
Three pheasants, one larded
A Swan Pye
Three brace of Partridge, three larded
Made dish in Puff Paste
Bolonia sausages, and anchovies, and pickled oysters in a dish, with
mushrooms and Caviare
Six teals, three larded
A Gammon of Westphalia Bacon
Ten ploves, five larded
Aquince pye or warden pye
Six woodcocks, three larded
A Standing tarte in puff paste, preserved fruits, pippins,&c.
A dish of larks
Six dried neat's tongues
Sturgeon
Powdered Geese (yes, that's what it says)
Jellies.

And the winner is...(may I have the envelope please), ......Adamantius by a
hare.

Aoife (who made herself late to transport her troop of 16 Daisy Girls Scouts
to the Wildlife Preserve, thus proving that she loves to eat more than
anything else! Guess the below signature looks real dumb now!).

"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957