SC - Soap Box

Ray Caughlin rayc at totcon.com
Wed Apr 23 20:27:26 PDT 1997

I'd just like to add my two cents worth to the discussion
about fish and meat on the same menus.
Fishdays and fleshdays were religious requirements. Fish were
not prohibited at any time and therefore it was possible for
fish to be eaten on any day. It was a matter of preference as
to whether or not fish was included on fleshdays. Meat was
another thing altogether. However, there were two types of
fishdays. The regular fishday allowed animal products to be
eaten - dairy, butter, eggs and perhaps in some places and
times animal fats such as lard, suet, etc. Strict fast days
such as in Lent, did not allow any meat or poultry or any
animal product whatsoever. Thus on a regular fishday your
fish could be fried in butter or lard, but not in Lent.
Rowenna.
Name: Ilkka Heikki Salokannel
E-mail: Ilkka Heikki Salokannel<Rennes at xl.ca>
Date: 4/23/97