SC - SC- Lists of Foods

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Apr 24 21:15:54 PDT 1997

According to the Food Chronology by  James Trager (pg 143)  Which is a fun
book in which to look up things.
Maeve

Dated "1696
Grapefruit cultivation in America has its origin in seeds from the
Polynesian pomelo tree (Citrus grandis) introduced into Barbados by an
English sea captain named Shaddock. A sweeter and thinner mutation of the
fruit, or a botanist's development of the 'shaddock', will be called
grapefruit.
1751 George Washington writes of sampling shaddocks.(paraphrase of the entry)
1814
Hortus Jamaicensis by English botanist John Lunan uses the word
'grapefruit' for the first time. ...."

Maeve