SC - Allergies! Who is responsible?

MS MARTHA L WALLENHORST Annejke at prodigy.com
Mon Apr 28 09:18:33 PDT 1997

>Annejke lists, among her subtleties:

>1980 Peacock in full Pride (real bird)

>Master Chiquart (1420) advises his readers to cheat by cooking a
goose and
>dressing it in a peacock's skin; he says peacock doesn't taste as
good. Is
>that consistent with your experience?

I have done two peacocks and several peahens over the years.  Only
one have I had come out gamey.  I slow roast them all day in Rose
water and have served them with fresh orange chutney and had no
trouble really.  Cooked this way I was taught that the grease is
negliable and it roasts the meat off of the bone so it is tender.  I
have had friends try following Master Chirharts version with mixed
results.  My version was first written up by Ann Wilson in 1977/78 in
a paper on historic recreations of feasts.  This was her version and
I have had fairly good success.

Annejke