SC - What's wrong with Aoife's d

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Mon Apr 28 09:00:44 PDT 1997

Ron Martino Jr wrote:

>         Hmmm. The assumption being made here is that the Laurels who thought
> the manuscript unnecessary were thinking only of themselves, and how
> such a CA would benefit themselves alone. I'd hope that our peers could
> better see the bigger picture.
>
>         I don't mean to single out your post specifically, Adamantius-dono.
> Several folk made similar comments, but I'm just going to comment on it
> once...
>
>         Yumitori

Less of an assumption than an admission of possibility. The reaction of
those who responded seemed to represent a consensus that it would be a
useful tool. I feel that if these folks feel it would be helpful, there
is no harm in it, particularly when the cost of purchase (even as
photocopies) of the books that I use for this purpose would far exceed
the cost of a CA.

I suppose some might argue that it would be better as an educational
experience to do the research properly, and avoid the "I read one book
and now I'm an expert" that is frequently encountered in the SCA, but as
long as the research isn't misrepresented as anything other than a
perusal of a pamphlet (since, unfortunately, there are some people out
there who might prefer the "digest" version with all that implies) then
there should be no problem, and comparatively few, I think, would see it
as a wasted effort.

Naturally, my comments should never be construed as describing an entire
group of people, most of whom I don't even know, but I don't think that
was the case.

Adamantius