SC - Vegetarian dishes

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Apr 29 10:14:20 PDT 1997

On Monday, April 28, Aoife said:

>Aha! I was wondering who would wonder about the peppers. That's what's wrong
>with the dish. There are several recipes out there for Roman "Toast" that
>include several sorts of things like butter or olive oil, garlic, anchovies,
>salt and pepper, cheese, and they usually get put on a horizontally sliced
>loaf and heated in the oven. Is it Pizza? No. Could you make a suspicious
>but hungry fighter happy by offering him "Medieval White Pizza". Sure. Blame
>it on that old salt Apecius, among others.

Interesting. So I wasn't that far off after all. These "toast" dishes sound
delicious and like a good lunch item.

I do not have a copy of Apecius' book. Could someone post some originals
and their redactions? These might even be good for the potluck we are
having at our Romano-British event in about ten days.

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  markh at risc.sps.mot.com