Re(2): SC - Cold Dishes

Stonewall Van Wie III svanwie at davlin.net
Tue Apr 29 15:54:44 PDT 1997

On 23 Apr 97 at 23:46, david friedman wrote:

> Imagine an ordinary American cook turned loose in a Chinese grocery store to
> buy ingredients for dinner; what he or she would end up producing would be
> much more like modern American food than like Chinese food. Now imagine a
> Chinese cook turned loose in your local supermarket to buy ingredients for
> dinner--the result would be a Chinese meal. Ingredients are not irrelevant--a
> potato or tomato in what is supposed to be a medieval meal is a bit jarring.
> But getting exactly the right ingredients is less important, if your objective
> is to produce the sort of food they ate, than knowing what they did with them.

A medieval cook turned loose in your local supermarket would be even more
surprised by all of the out of season foods there.  I would like a list that had
period foods listed by season.  Not only would this help prevent me from
serving period recipes with out of season foods, it should be cheaper too.

HL Aeddan ap Trahaearn           | Email: shore at dcainc.com
Shire of Mooneschadowe
Kingdom of Ansteorra