Garlic

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed Apr 9 21:07:40 PDT 1997

The good Adamantius said:

> On the other hand, a good garlic jance effectively
> disguised the remains of the unfortunately tactless one.
> To paraphrase Apicius, no one at table knew what he was eating.

Ok. Now I'm not sure what a "jance" is, but I like Garlic.

So, was garlic used in medieval cooking? How? As a seasoning
cooked into foods? Squeezed on top of foods? Today roasted
garlic seems to be a fad in some areas. Is there any evidence
of roasted garlic then? Was it grown all over or just around
the Mediterranean?

These are questions that just occured to me. I have not tried
to research any of this.

Thanks.
   Stefan li Rous
   markh at risc.sps.mot.com