Garlic

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed Apr 9 21:07:40 PDT 1997

Derdriu asks:

> And, while we have spices and plants of the
>same name today as they did then, which ones are different? Are there any
>beyond Cinnamon/cassia and Cinnamon/ceylon, which, while sharing a name,
>are quite different in flavor?

Apparently there are different saffrons available today. This came
up on the Rialto recently when someone gave a recipe that used 7
tablespoons of saffron. Since I only knew of the Spanish saffron
this seemed like a small fortune to me. Although we never got an
answer from the original poster, some thought they must have been
speaking of substitute safron. For instance:
- -----
Yes, there is an "artificial", or rather a "substitute" saffron -
the safflower, Carthamus tinctorius, was used in period as an adulterant
for Crocus sativus.  It gives the same color, but no flavor, & is
available for about $2.00 per ounce.  It is also called Mexican Saffron.
    Cindy Renfrow
- -----

Any other examples?

    Stefan li Rous