sca-cooks Viking Period Cooking - Looking for Information about

Judy Gerjuoy jaelle at access.digex.net
Sun Apr 13 21:25:09 PDT 1997

I don't know of any Viking period cookbooks in English.

The closest thing I know of of scholary information about food of that
era, is a short (5 page) article in _Du Mauscript a la Table_ edited by
Carole Lambert, which discusses two versions of a *14th* century Danish
cookbook, one from circa 1300, the other from circa 1350.

The other books which might be useful are Anglo-Saxon Food and Anglo-Saxon
Food and Drink by Hagen. Note: they are *not* cookbooks, but rather a
discussion of the food/drink/preparation methods of that time/place.

While not Viking, it is probably the closest source you will find.

Jaelle

jaelle at access.digex.net
If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely
challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn
between a desire to improve the world, and a desire to enjoy the world.
This makes it hard to plan the day. - E. B. White